12.29.2011

An Early Morning Sit-In

I will be the first to admit that we have spoiled dog.  He has multiple beds, blankets, and toys.  He occasionally gets to sleep with us and he knows how to make us give in to anything by just glancing at us with those big eyes of his.  But last night he took it to a whole other level!

Lately he has been constantly licking his leg and has caused it to turn red.  Not only is the constant licking a bit annoying, but his leg looks terrible.  I've called the vet and she said it is habitual and likened it to humans biting their nails.  She said it happens mostly when a dog is bored.  Yeah, that is right I said bored.  Koby has NO REASON to be bored (see paragraph #1).  The vet went on to say that there really wasn't anything we could do to make him stop.  She said we could try liquid bandage but it doesn't really work that well.  So, we went on and just hoped he would quit -- he hasn't!  Finally last night Brandon got fed up and rigged up a "bandage" of his own out of an old sock and some medical tape.  Needless to say Koby was none to happy about his new leg warmer...



At first he wouldn't put his paw on the ground to walk.  Then, once he realized he kind of needed that leg he started walking like an Arabian horse (click here for reference), except that he walked normally with the other legs and only strutted with the bandaged leg.  Quite a site!

As the night went on he got more used to it and acted like it didn't bother him.  That was until about 3:00 this morning when he decided to take revenge on us with a sit-in.  I woke up to him sitting next to me in our bed just staring at me.  I thought maybe he wanted under the covers (again, see paragraph #1) so I helped him under, but he just sat there again.  Then, he came out and decided to sit on me.  This was clearly not going to work so I sat up to move him and he moved into my spot and just sat there again.  What in the world!!  By this time Brandon was awake and tried to take him outside.  Again, Koby just sat at the top of the steps staring at Brandon.  So, after all of this we finally decided he was mad about the bandage and was letting us know just how he felt.  Since I wanted to sleep I decided to take the stupid thing off and he hopped down and went back to his bed and went right to sleep.  Arrgghh!!!!  Again I say the dog is SPOILED and we are suckers.

However, he was back to being mad this morning when we wrapped his leg again.  Let's hope he doesn't show his displeasure in more aggressive ways (like peeing on the floor or something...) this time. 

Photobucket

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Oh my goodness do I KNOW what you mean lol!! One of my bostons licks....that sound drives me CRAZY! He licked a place on his back so much the hair came off- it was ugly for sure! I actually had to get this antiseptic 'wound' spray from Petsmart and he quit doing it, apparently it didn't taste too good!

Tessa said...

Thanks for the tip! I will have to go find that spray and see if it works for our little guy.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates