6.24.2012

Resuming Life

Well it seems we are back to our (new) normal.  Life has resumed, but in a different way.  We have settled into a decent schedule (I almost hate typing that because the little one might throw us a curve ball tomorrow) and everyone is happy and healthy.




I am about to start my third week back at work.  It was/has been a tough transition.  The night before my first day back I found myself not wanting to go to sleep so I could put off the inevitable...it didn't work.  I woke up Monday morning with a huge lump in my throat.  I pushed back the tears until I took Mason upstairs to change his diaper one last time before we loaded up.  And then I lost it.  I just stood at the top of the stairs and cried.  The day had come whether I liked it or not.  I pulled myself together and got in the car and drove a new route to work via the babysitter's house.  Thankfully Brandon followed me so we could drop Mason off together.  I told myself all the way to her house that I wasn't going to cry while we were there and I probably got half of my right foot in the doorway and the tears just started pouring out.  I couldn't even tell our babysitter what was in Mason's bag so Brandon had to step in and do the talking.  She obviously realized we were having a hard time and she wrapped her arms around us and told us that it wouldn't be normal if we weren't sad and that the tears just meant we were good parents.  That made me feel so much better, but leaving him was still so hard and the tears just kept flowing.  As I kissed him goodbye, he gave me a little half smile as if he was saying "I'm going to be okay, Mom," and that made me feel so good!

I only called once during the day to check on him and I left work early to go pick him up.  When I arrived, he seemed very content which put me at ease.  Our babysitter told me he was the 'talk of the town' that day since they had not had a baby around in a while.  The next few days got a little easier, but I still dread Sunday evenings.  Weekday mornings are actually pretty relaxed.  Brandon does the 5-6 a.m. feeding while I get up and get ready for work.  I take Mason to the babysitter's house and I generally pick him up.  Once we get home, we hang out for a bit before I start dinner (I've been making some really easy meals that I will post about later).  Mason hangs out in his bouncy seat while we eat dinner and then we get in a few more snuggles before it is time for bed.  I bathe him and Brandon is in charge of putting him to bed while I try to pick up the house or wash bottles.  We usually turn in about 10:00 p.m. and then it is time to start it all over again.  We have learned to make the most of the weekends with our little man and the weekend days have not gone by as fast as we expected them to.  We are so grateful to have found a wonderful babysitter who puts our minds at ease.




This weekend Mason's Auntie Tara came to visit since her crew was out of town.  He got to go shopping with her and his Nana on Friday afternoon while we were still at work.  On Saturday we went to the farmer's market and to get coffee while Brandon worked on our deck.  That afternoon Mason and Brandon hung out while Tara and I went to lunch and did a little Target browsing.  Then, on Saturday night we had some friends over for our first bbq of the summer!  Mason was a trooper with all of the chaos and we had a great time.  We got up for church this morning and then came back to hang out with Tara a little more before she headed home to greet her family.  Brandon's mom and aunt also stopped by to say hello to Mason as they were passing through town.  And, now we find ourselves  ready to resume a new week.

Our new normal is pretty awesome.  We have learned to slow down a little bit and enjoy the down time.  We don't get as much done around the house, but that is okay for this season of life.







Photobucket

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates