10 cups dried cranberries
5 bunches celery
3 lbs of chopped pecans
1 gallon mayonnaise
3 cups honey
120 oz mandarin oranges
6 lbs strawberries
7 heads of lettuce
24 oz feta cheese
2 lbs candied pecans
4 bottles of raspberry vinaigrette
6 cake mixes
32 oz cream cheese
1 lb butter
1 package powdered sugar
2 coolers
2 totes
1 late night
1 long day
1 satisfying feeling
What? You don't cook for 60 people every day? Well if you ever want to, this would be your grocery list!
On Saturday, I successfully (with the help of my mom and a good friend) catered a luncheon for 60 women at my mom and dad's church. My mom is in charge of the women's ministry and they were having a one day conference that included lunch. There are not many caterers in their town, so my mom approached me a couple of months ago about possibly preparing and serving the meal and after some discussion I agreed to do it. I thought it would be a fun experience and would help me decide if this was something I would possibly want to do in the future (and since it was so successful, the answer is mostly yes -- I might have a few restrictions, though).
So, after a lot of deliberation between my mom and me and my mom and her committee, we finally agreed on a menu:
Honey Chicken Salad
Strawberry Mandarin Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Croissant
Miniature Bundt Cakes (two flavors - dark chocolate and lemon, both with cream cheese frosting)
I have made the chicken salad many times and it always gets great reviews and I knew it would be easy to assemble. I cooked a batch of chicken in the crockpot every day for the past week, shredded it, cooled it, vacuum sealed it and froze it. I had planned to serve the chicken salad in a tart shell, similar to the picture on the recipe, however not all things go as planned. I had a hard time finding the tart shells in stock at the grocery store or at Sam's so I called a caterer that we use at work and she told me she could order them, which sounded great to me so I gave her the go ahead. Well, next time I will make sure I know exactly what is being ordered before placing the order. When I went to get the tart shells on Friday morning I realized they were not what I had pictured in my mind. Instead, they were like itty bitty, one-bite pie shells that should be filled with pudding or custard and served for dessert. Needless to say, I panicked! Everything had been going so smoothly up to this point and this was something pretty huge to have go wrong. So I called my mom, freaked her out a little bit and then we began wracking our brains for a plan B (note to self: always have a plan B!). After tossing around the idea of making our own shells with phylo dough, we finally decided to place a wedge of cantaloupe on the plate and serve the chicken salad on the cantaloupe. It ended up working out great and saved us quite a bit of time so I'm happy we ended up with that option.
After my last minute shopping trip, I loaded up my car and headed out of town. Once I arrived in my home town, I began baking 70 miniature bundt cakes. We decided on the bundt cakes because they were automatically individual servings and would look pretty on the plate. I just used box mixes to save time and money, but I jazzed them up with cream cheese frosting - plain cream cheese with toffee topping for the chocolate and lemon cream cheese for the lemon. While I am still on Weight Watchers, I did sample the lemon cake and I must say it was to die for! I fell in love with lemon cake at my cousin's wedding last year where they served several different flavors of cupcakes and the lemon cupcake they had was AMAZING! I can't say my cakes were better, but they were pretty darn close!
The night before the event, I had a lot of last minute prep work to do - make the frosting, chop and measure out the lettuce, peel and slice the cantaloupe, and slice strawberries. Thankfully, my mom was a good sport and helped me out. My dad, however, was not so happy when we sent him to the store at 11:00 p.m. to buy another cantaloupe :) We finally went to bed a little after midnight, but there was just no way to avoid that last minute stuff. I did as much as I possibly could have ahead of time to save time, but some stuff just wasn't avoidable.
![]() |
| {Christy and I frosting the mini bundt cakes} |
| {Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the food plated, but if you look really closely you can see them. But take my word, they looked YUMMY!} |
And just in case you are wondering, I won't be eating chicken for a while! After cooking it all week and smelling it in the house all week, I am a little bit turned off. I even woke up smelling it in the middle of the night one night and just about gagged!



0 comments:
Post a Comment