It is no secret that I LOVE reality TV and pop culture in general. Often times I can be found watching Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor/Bachelorette, Real Housewives, and those silly E! shows. And, a lot of my friends are the same way so we often have semi-in-depth discussions about any one of the shows above. It is not like we purposely set out to have these discussions, but they always seem to gravitate to the topic at some point.
Well, just the other night we had a small group BBQ and the girls were sitting around the kitchen table and the conversation turned to the current season of The Bachelorette and Real Housewives. We were discussing what we thought was going on with Ali, the bachelorette, and whether or not we believed Reality Steve's predictions for the ending. Then, we were discussing the latest cat fight on RHONJ and whether or not one of them really has gone into bankruptcy. Deep, I know.
On the way home from the bbq, Brandon tells me how silly we all sounded discussing these reality TV shows because we all know they aren't real. I defended the conversation and told him that it is what girls my age (and probably younger) talk about. Every time I go to Bunco we talk about at least one reality show, I see tweets from my friends every day discussing reality TV and there are several TV shows dedicated to entertainment news. Yes, I know reality TV shouldn't monopolize my life and there are much more important subjects that we could be talking about such as how we could be helping the poor, what should be done about the oil spill, how we could serve better, who should get elected in the next election cycle, etc. (and I do discuss this stuff too). But, sometimes it is just nice to let go and be a bit shallow. I'm not sure I changed his mind any, but I do know that Reality TV is just part of our society now whether we like it or not. Just like rock and roll was to the '60s or 90210 was to the '90s, Reality TV is what this decade will be known for.
And, if anyone ever needs a secret weapon for a trivia game, I'd be happy to help out on the pop culture questions!

0 comments:
Post a Comment