Before I get into the things I learned yesterday, I do need to give one short disclaimer. As part of my job, I am responsible for all communications in our office, along with overseeing and managing our website and social media channels. So while I was fasting from personal social media and internet activities, I still had to use media at work.
Okay, now on to my media-free observations (I jotted down a list throughout the day yesterday so I wouldn't forget anything):
- the drive to work was eerily quiet and I found myself humming and whistling
- my work day was a little more productive because I was not doing anything personal online
- realized I will survive without knowing all of the breaking news via Twitter
- the break provided me with more "thinking" time in the car sans the distraction of the radio
- Brandon and I actually had conversations when we got home from work instead of vegging in front of the TV
- we got more accomplished around the house last night since we were not distracted by TV
- realized how much time I do spend online or watching TV
- I actually read part of a book without falling asleep -- this is MAJOR!
One thing that I know I need to work on is my connection to social media. I will be the first person to rattle off its benefits, and I do believe there are benefits, but it does not need to rule my life. I can live without all of the tidbits of information I gather on Twitter and Facebook. In reality, I do not need to check Twitter and FB right when I get up in the morning. I watch the news and will find out any pertinent information that I need at that time. And really, sometimes it is nice to be in the dark a bit -- for instance I did not know about the shooting in Ohio until this morning when we turned on the news.
So, all in all this was a good exercise for both Brandon and me. I would encourage all of you (the few who do read this thing) to try a similar exercise in your own life and then re-evaluate how you've been doing things. It really was refreshing.
Also, my faithful readers may have noticed that I had two posts yesterday but have no fear, they were both scheduled posts that I wrote on Sunday night :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment