1.30.2012

Weekend Wrap-Up + 2 Recipes

We had a busy and eventful weekend and the time flew by, but I suppose that is just how it goes!
  • We spent Friday evening hanging out at Mel Hambelton Ford.  Why you ask?  Well, we traded in the Fusion for a "new-to-us" Explorer.  The car buying process is not my favorite past time, but the people at Mel Hambelton made it as pleasant as possible.  And now, we have extra room, a lower car payment, and I'm not driving a car anymore.
  • Once we got home we spent the rest of the night cleaning house so we could focus on other projects the rest of the weekend.  I must say, it was a really nice to go to bed on Friday night knowing I didn't have to get up and do chores in the morning!
  • We got up leisurely on Saturday morning and headed out to run a few errands.  I left my garage door opener in the old car so we had to go back to the dealership to pick it up.  Then, we went to Kohl's so Brandon could get a new pair of jeans to wear with his birthday cowboy boots.  He got Levi's and not Wranglers so I've decided to call him an "urban cowboy" since he's not sporting the true cowboy jeans :)
  • We also hit up every home improvement store on our side of town pricing paint for our walls.  We are looking at the paint and primer in one and locally Lowe's had the best price.  We bought one quart to test out in our bathroom to see if we like it.  We probably won't get to painting the bathroom until later in the week, though.
  • Saturday afternoon I made a new cookie recipe and I must say, they lived up to the recipe title!!

 
  • On Saturday night we attended our first Wichita Thunder hockey game with a friend and her husband.  She got tickets from her office and invited us to sit with them in a loge box.  None of us had attended a hockey game before so we were all pretty entertained!

  • Sunday we got up and went to church, did our grocery shopping and went up to the hospital to see little Brooklyn.  Let me tell you, this little girl is quite the over-achiever!  She was born 11 weeks early and has been in the hospital exactly two weeks and while we were there, they received word that she was ready to move upstairs to the special care unit and out of the NICU!!  She will still be in the hospital for a little while, but she's progressing so well!  I would post a picture, but I haven't asked permission from her parents so you will have to trust me when I say she's a cutie!!
  • After our visit at the hospital we headed home and painted a little more trim and dare I say, we are like 95% finished!!  We still have the staircase and the kitchen cabinets to do but those projects require a little more time so we are not going to rush getting those started. 
  • For dinner, I made one of my mom's recipes that I had forgotten about until I found it tucked in my recipe binder.  It is a good Sunday evening meal because it does take an hour to bake, but it was so good and Brandon gave it the thumbs up, which is even better:

    Steak Mozzarella3/4 c. flour
    3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    Garlic Salt
    Pepper
    Paprika
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 lb.s cube steak (I used round steak cut into pieces and then pounded a little)
    Vegetable Oil
    6 oz. tomato paste
    3 cloves garlic
    2 c. chicken broth
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Mozzarella cheese slices

    Combine the first five ingredients in a shallow dish.  Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Dip the meat in the egg and then in the flour mixture and brown on both sides in heated skillet.  Cook about 3-4 minutes per side.  Transfer meat to a 9x13 baking dish.  Repeat until all the meat has been browned.

    In the same skillet, saute the garlic for about a minute (you can also use onion, but I did not).  Add in the tomato paste, chicken broth, salt and pepper.  Simmer mixture for 5-10 minutes and then pour over the meat.  Top with mozzarella cheese slices.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Serve over hot egg noodles or with mashed potatoes.
  • After dinner we were stuffed and happy, but Brandon continued to change door hardware and hinges so we could put the house back together.  We finally crashed in bed for a little mindless TV watching before we drifted off to sleep. 

Photobucket


0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates