1.25.2008

I miss....

....Kistner's

Kistner's was the flower shop that I worked at in college. It was the place that I met Brandon, the place we got to know each other, the place where we fell in love and the place we got engaged. It was the place I loved and hated - at the same time!

There are days where I long to be standing at the table, making arrangements, sipping on a Diet Cherry Coke and not having a care in the world. I loved learning how to arrange flowers, and it has become a part of me. I never considered myself a creative person, but Connie took a chance with me (probably because I had a flexible schedule and was likeable in my interview - she was desperate). I made arrangements for everything - birthdays, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, the president of KSU, Bill Snyder, weddings and funerals. I did the flowers for my co-worker's wedding, heck, I even arranged my own flowers from Brandon (unbeknownst to me)!! I got to make people happy!

I learned how to deal with people I didn't necessarily like or agree with. I learned how to deal with grouchy customers and over zealous salesmen. I learned that my opinions aren't necessarily the opinions of others. I learned that I really hate watering plants and I hate poinsettias. I learned that I hate rats and that they are capable of eating 16 boxes of Decon, but eventually, they will die and stink up the entire place. I also learned that it is probably not a good idea to cut open rose boxes (on Valentine's Day, especially) using a brand new knife - I ended up in the emergency room and have a beautiful scar to remind me.

At the time, my life didn't seem simple. There were days I hated going to work, days I couldn't wait to get there and days I couldn't wait to get away. But, as time has passed, I realized what a great job that was. So much happened while I worked there that Kistner's really became a part of me. I miss it...

0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates